I had my “16” week appointment last week at 17w2d. I had (at that point) gained 5 lb, my blood pressure was fine, and the baby’s heartbeat a lovely 158 bpm. I’m set for an ultrasound and my “20” week appointment at the end of June, when I’ll actually be a little over 21 weeks. I think I’ve been feeling the baby move a little; it’s sporadic and very faint, but it’s there. Maybe. Or it may be my imagination. And I was brave enough today to call the hospital and ask about childbirth classes, although I didn’t make it to the point of actually registering for one yet.
And now, for everyone’s favorite — all the bullet points of ideas that I don’t have the time/interest/motivation to delve deeply into, but are interesting to me:
- All of my recently-become-mother friends, when I complain or ask about something, are all “Oh yeah, that happened to me too and it sucked!” But they NEVER warn me ahead of time. I’ve started wondering if they simply don’t remember until I remind them.
- I am very much over this whole eating thing. I’m tired of it. I’m tired of being hungry and yet so indecisive that I can’t figure out what to eat. This morning, I wanted a snack by the time I got to work, realized I had forgotten my lunch on the coffee table, and just about lost it. And it wasn’t like it was anything special that I really wanted, or that I didn’t have snacks in the office, or that I couldn’t leave at lunch to get something else. I’m just so TIRED of having to deal with food.
- It really sucks to start losing your mind, and yet be self-aware enough to know it’s happening. See above comment about lunch — I knew rationally that it wasn’t worth getting upset over, and yet I was barely able to not start bawling in the parking lot.
- I just started sleeping with a body pillow (just the regular rectangle kind that I’ve had since I was in college), and the past few nights have been good. Manly says I’m not tossing and turning as much, and I feel like I’m sleeping much deeper. I think part of my problem has been that I like to sleep on my stomach and that’s starting to be uncomfortable. Also, I highly recommend the tempur.pedic mattress; it has been SO good to lay down and have my back completely supported.
- I am starting to really get worried about work. Not that I’m worried about keeping my job, I’m worried about how all the things we already have under contract will get done with me out for mat. leave. We’re interviewing and trying to find someone for me to train as an addition to our team, but time is so short that there’s no way they will be completely up to speed and capable without me there. And I REALLY don’t want to be working any while I’m technically on leave, but I’m beginning to think that that may not be a possibility. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if I wasn’t so invested in my job, but I love the work and I love the people I work with, and I know exactly where the extra work will fall with me gone, and I already feel bad about that.
- We ordered our crib and we really need to get cracking on getting the furniture moved out of that room. I think the only other thing we’re going to buy is a rug; we’re getting Manly’s rocking chair from his parents’ house and the chest of drawers from my parents’ and will refinish as needed.
PS — don’t tell Manly, but I would totally have Chris Osgood’s babies if I had the opportunity.